Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Brazen Serpent - Numbers 21:4-9

The children of Israel sinned by speaking against the Lord and against Moses. This is what caused the "fiery serpents"
Sometimes today we are like the children of Israel anciently when we do not heed the promptings of the Lord. In 1 Nephi 17:45 Nephi is talking to his brothers, reminding them of all the things that they have received from the Lord. He reminds them that they have seen an angel, they have felt the still small voice, and the Lord has then spoken to them "like unto the voice of thunder" because they would not listen. I think we also find this in 1 Nephi 19:7 where Nephi is teaching that people of the world will "set at naught and trample under their feet. Yea, even the very God of Israel do men trample under their feet; I say, trample under their feet but I would speak in other words - they set him at naught, and hearken not to the voice of his counsels." We see this around us everywhere in the world.

When Moses held up the brazen serpent, it was to symbolize Christ. (Alma 33:18-22)

We also can look to Christ for healing. We can look to Christ for physical healing and all other types of healing. He can heal us emotionally, spiritually, and physically. Through the power of His atonement He knows what each one of us experiences each day. He knows the pains we feel, the sadness, the sorrow, the joy, and all other things we go through. Ultimately, He is the only one that truly knows how to heal us and help us. We can receive priesthood blessings to receive strength and healing through the power of His priesthood. The Savior knows each of us personally, better than we know ourselves. And He is the one that can ultimately and completely heal us from anything that we may be going through physically or any other way.

Often, people in the world turn to other people in the world for healing. Now, this is not to say that going to the doctor is bad when you are sick or there is a physical, mental, or emotional thing that needs to be addressed. I am so grateful for modern medicine! But when people only turn to those things, only turn to the support of friends, or try to be healed through other worldly practices, without turning to the Savior then it becomes much more difficult to be completely healed. Sure we can eat a bowl of ice cream to make us feel better after a long day, but the ice cream or whatever it is cannot heal or improve us.

Rather, doing the simple things in the gospel of Jesus Christ can heal us! Daily scripture study and daily prayer are so important. Having that regular interaction with the Spirit in our daily lives is essential. I know for me the days are so much better when I get my studying in! Even if that day other things happen that would normally make the day worse, or the day is busier than usual, having the companionship of the Holy Ghost makes it all worth it. I feel the power of the Atonement each day in my life. I rely on my Savior each day to help me through all that I have to do! I am taking 19 credits this semester, have a one year old daughter, my husband works, and I am pregnant with our second one. Life is kind of crazy! And I hate being gone all day and leaving my daughter and husband home alone all day. Our roles are backwards for right now while I try and finish school. Often by the time I get home in the evenings I only have half an hour or so to play with Jackie before she goes to bed. Or I come home and she has already gone to bed. It just breaks my heart to not get to go through our bedtime routine together of reading scriptures, praying, and singing together before I lay her down in bed. That is one of my favorite times in the day, and I have missed it several times this semester. On those days I really turn to the Lord and tell Him how I am feeling, tell Him how much I missed being with Jackie today, tell Him all the desires of my heart and what I am striving to do. And when I am able to do that, I feel the overwhelming power of His atonement and His love. His atonement enables me to continue on each day and to somehow get done with everything that I have to do! Even when it's hard and long, He still is always there for me. I can feel it, I know that it is a real power in my life each day!

No comments:

Post a Comment