Thursday, March 20, 2014

Ruth 1-2. “Whither Thou Goest, I Will Go”

Where Ruth and Naomi lived in Judah they battled the climate. There was generally enough water and the land was fertile enough to support crops of wheat and barley, grape vineyards, and olive and fig trees. However, sometimes the rain didn't fall and there was famine in the land. At the time of Ruth and Naomi, there was famine in the land. 

Ruth faced the trial of having her husband die. She then faced the challenge of deciding whether to go back to her family in Moab or to stay with Naomi and return to Judah with her. Another trial was the famine. I am grateful that I have never had the experience of my husband dying, but one trial that I have experienced that is somewhat similar happened when I got married. There were a lot of extended family members and close friends that didn't want me to get married when I did, but I knew that it was the right thing to do so I went ahead anyways! And I am so grateful that I did! 

Similarly, I think that Ruth knew that it was right to go with Naomi even though her family may have wanted her to stay with them. It would have been hard to go because she was not familiar with the people, the customs, or anything about the land of Judah. But she had been converted to the Lord and she wanted to remain with Naomi. She felt that it was right and so she was steadfast in her decision to remain with her. 

Boaz was so impressed with Ruth because of the things that she had done. He said, "It hath fully been shewed me, all that thou hast done unto thy mother in law since the death of thine husband: and how thou hast left thy father and thy mother, and the land of thy nativity, and art come unto a people which thou knewest not heretofore.
    The Lord recompense thy work, and a full areward be given thee of the Lord God of Israel, under whose bwings thou art come to trust." (Ruth 2:11-12). He was also impressed that she was willing to continue working so hard for Naomi and to help provide for her. This also explains why Boaz was so kind to Ruth and helped to provide for her an Naomi. 
I think that there are so many things that we can learn from the example of Ruth! She was diligent in all that she did, she was converted to the Lord in a time when there was a lot of wickedness and yet she chose the Lord. She had to sacrifice the life that she grew up living, she sacrificed her family for Naomi and the Lord. She was so steadfast in all the decisions that she made and she couldn't be persuaded to not do those good things that she did. She faced all of her challenges with faith. I don't think that I have ever made so many sacrifices as she did. I often feel like in my life I haven't sacrificed a lot because it has always been in my nature to want to do what is right and to keep the commandments. That is just one thing that I have always been blessed with. I was blessed with a testimony from a young age and it has always remained with me. I am so grateful for that, but it does make it seem like I also haven't had to give up a lot of things. I do know though, that as we sacrifice for the Lord and as we do all that He asks us to do, regardless of what it is, how big or how small it may seem, we are blessed because of it! I have noticed though that when I sacrifice something I am so blessed that in the end it didn't even feel like a sacrifice at all! The Lord wants to bless us as we do all that He has asked of us, and He will bless us as we devote our lives to Him and live in faith! 

No comments:

Post a Comment